Orthodontic Treatment for Adults
Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists states that 20% of orthodontic patients are adults.
Common reasons why adults consider orthodontic treatment:
- A bad bite or malocclusion that prevents teeth from fitting together correctly
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, leading to tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain or pressure caused by crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Treatment Options for Adults
We offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs. Types of braces include:
- Clear braces
- Ceramic braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Lingual (behind the tooth) braces
- Clear aligners (like Invisalign®)
The difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens:
The main difference between treating adults and children or teens is that the jawbones of younger patients are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may make orthognathic surgery necessary to align the jawbones. Aduls also suffer from periodontal disease and worn or missing teeth, which can complicate treatment.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence
- Mouths left untreated can get worse
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact our practice to schedule an appointment.