I have always believed that you should choose your career according to what you love to do. I love orthodontics. The art and science, the continuing education, the variety of people I get to meet all contribute to this love. My drive for creating art, my hunger for information and education, and my pleasure of meeting people and growing relationships are well nourished by the practice of orthodontics.
Orthodontics is not just a job; it is my passion. Providing this service to our patients and families gives back to me. You, our team, our families, our patients… you give my heart wings.
Dedication to Education and Continuing Education
I earned my Bachelor’s Degree in Biology and Master’s Degree in Human Physiology from the California State University, Sacramento. My medical illustrations were featured in many research publications, and I provided the art for the physiology workbook used at CSUS. During my Master’s degree program, I immersed myself in research cardiology at the University of California, Davis Medical Center.
I received my Doctorate of Dental Surgery in 1989 and my orthodontic certificate in 1991 from the University of California, San Francisco. My research at UCSF was in three different areas: AIDS, congenital craniofacial malformations, and bone cells.
Orthodontics is a continually evolving specialty. As a practitioner, I have made a lifetime commitment to continuing education to keep current and on the cutting edge so that I can deliver the very best care to our patients.
- University of California, San Francisco Dental Alumni
- University of California, San Francisco Orthodontic Alumni
- Pacific Coast Society of Orthodontists
- California Association of Dentists
- California Association of Orthodontists
- American Dental Association
- American Association of Orthodontists
- Spear Interdisciplinary Dental Study Group
Outside the Office
I was born in Sacramento, California. Most of my elementary education was at the Tachikawa Air Force Base Elementary School in Tachikawa, Japan. We returned to California where I attended middle and high school in Citrus Heights.
My husband is the other Dr. Marcel of Marcel Orthodontics. He is my life partner for everything I do. We have two incredibly wonderful children. Noah is currently at Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota, studying neuroscience. Kate is at Bishop O’Dowd and is interested in genetics, lacrosse, and jazz band.
We have two and a half dogs: a Shi-Tzu, a Coton/Bishon mix, and we share a boxer with our neighbor. Our menagerie is complete with Kate’s two Russian miniature hamsters and Noah’s goldfish and ball python.
If I am not working, you will most likely find me with my family, at coffee with my girlfriends, in my garage art studio, in my sewing room, in my garden, or curled up with a good book. I’m also a fan of the Golden State Warriors, SF Giants, and the 49ers.
In the Community
During an assistant professorship with the UCSF Division of Orthodontics, I traveled on a mission trip to Nepal to volunteer with a Cleft Lip and Palate Team to help others in need. Since then, I have been active in community outreach with the practice and in my personal life.
- Smiles Changes Lives to provide orthodontic care to the underprivileged
- Past President and Board Member of the Boys and Girls Clubs of Tracy
- Volunteer Dental Screening for Livermore Elementary Schools
- Volunteer Dental Education for local elementary schools
- Parent volunteer, Bishop O’Dowd High School
- Sponsor for local sports teams
- Participant in Tracy, Livermore, and Pleasanton Downtown Events